Your browser is unsupported

We recommend using the latest version of IE11, Edge, Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Program Phases

There are four phases to completing the Teaching of German major.

  1. Be admitted to UIC.
  2. Meet with an LAS advisor about required coursework. Enroll in General Education Requirement and German courses.
  3. It is suggested that you participate in activities related to teaching (tutoring, working with youth) to consider whether you have a vocation to teach.
  1. Declare a Teaching of German major
  2. Meet with the Teacher Education Coordinator and undergraduate advisor for the BA in the Teaching of German.
  3. Take ED 200 and ED 210 (Graduate students: ED 402 or 403 & 421 or 445). To get permission, go to the College of Education’s Student Services Office in Room 3145 EPASW. You must have declared a Teacher Ed major to sign up for these courses.
  4. When you have completed 45-60 semester hours, you must apply for Candidacy.
  1. Finish General Education Requirements and German courses.
  2. Take SPED 410 and ED 330.
  3. To enroll in ED 330, go to the CTE website and download the registration form.
    Note: You may only take ED 330/432 the semester immediately prior to student teaching, and with a maximum of 13 hours of coursework that semester. Also, you need a 3-hour block of time every day during the week, at the same time each day. Remember that you must be accepted to candidacy prior to submitting this form.
  4. Take the methodology courses German 448 and 449 during your last two semesters prior to student teaching.
    Note: You should take Ed 330 (or 432) at the same time as one of these methods courses (448 or 449).
  5. Take the Content Area Test in German. Register online at You will need to plan to take the test so that your scores will be received by UIC in time to approve your student teaching application. You can obtain a study guide in 3015 EPASW.
  6. Take the German Oral Proficiency Interview (OPI). ISBE has determined that you must reach the level of Intermediate High. You must do this before you can begin student teaching.
  7. Take the TB test. It is valid for one (1) year.
  8. Submit your Student Teaching application by the appropriate deadline. It is available on the CTE website.
  9. Be sure to read the instructions for submitting the Student Teaching application, and advice on choosing a school for your student teaching. Remember, you must have a 3.0 GPA in your major courses and a 2.5 GPA overall in order to student teach.
  1. Student teaching.
  2. File your “Intent to Graduate” online.